Wednesday, October 22, 2008

To Those Opposed To “Gay Marriage”

So, this message goes out to all of those people who are avid proponents of Prop 8, and those that aren't sure where they stand. I want to focus on California and not Arizona or Florida right now because the burden of proof in California lies with those trying to take away an existing right.

First, this is a free country. You have no more of an ability to explain to me why you believe in God, than I do to explain to you why I'm gay. I can't prove to you that I can't change, but you can't prove to me that God exists. I let you worship freely, and you should let me live my life freely, period.

Secondly, there is no scientific proof that homosexual relationships destroy the family. "Traditional" families are a byproduct of the 1950's; when this country was first founded, women were basically owned by their husbands. Anyone want to go back to that? And as far as children go, there are only a small number of studies about the children of gay parents, but they show that those children are usually more well-adjusted than the children of straight parents; imagine that… The only reason why you should feel badly for children of gay parents is because of the way they are treated by kids whose parents teach them to hate gay people.

You can whine all you want about gay people changing America, but it is you who are behind the times. If you would like to hide in a cave because you feel the world is turning into idolatry and wickedness, go ahead. We don't need people to tear us down more than we already have ourselves. As a gay person living in a straight society, it took me years to accept myself; I am not willing to give that up because of some religious ideals that you hold dear, and I deem irrelevant to my life. We both have the right to our respective opinions, and normally I wouldn't harp on you all, but the fact remains that you are trying to take away my rights.

This is a difficult issue for some people, but what I don't understand is why some people want to interfere in the lives of gay people. We already exist, we already have children, please just let us live the way we choose. Do you hear a big ruckus about this in Massachusetts, The Netherlands, or Spain anymore? Spain is highly Catholic, and when it first passed, everyone was outraged. Then the rage died down and people realized it doesn't affect them. The people who are affected are the ones in the stories below.

http://www.hrc.org/issues/10452.htm     

http://www.hrc.org/issues/3786.htm     

http://www.hrc.org/issues/3785.htm


 

Please remember, I am not asking you to endorse homosexuality, or to allow it into your church. We are asking for simple legal recognition, not access to temples, synagogues, churches, or mosques.

Please vote No on Prop 8 in California, Prop 102 in Arizona, and Prop 2 in Florida!

Thanks!

Nate

No comments: