Saturday, January 1, 2011

Carpe Diem, Community Style

Over the past year I have read and watched the news stories across America, with special emphasis being placed on the grassroots, particularly in the case of the "Tea Party." I believe the disconnect between the governing powers and the governed in this country has become too large; that we need to refocus as communities to find opportunities for growth, not in the sense of expansion, but in the sense of edification. I think it's time for people like myself who are itching to have a hand in the creation of solutions in our own communities to step up.

I am asking that anyone reading this who would like to join in a community discussion with me meet twice a month. I propose that we talk about issues in the Salt Lake Valley that we want to have taken care of. First order of business for me would be air quality, but I would like anything and everything that people want to talk about to come up.

There are a few stipulations to this: First, this is not related to politics. This is government policy that we want to see changed, and we actively want to pursue changing, or volunteer work in the community we would like help to accomplish. Second, all topics would need to be thoroughly researched before being discussed, since the entire concept is to engage each other in such a way that we find creative and effective ways to combat community issues. If you suggest a topic, you would need to come with at least a few resources and some ideas. Third, all dialogue at the meetings would need to be civil and focused on the topics at hand. Fourth, if you don't plan on following through so that our discussions turn into real community action, please send me your thoughts via e-mail and maybe I can assist or refer you to someone who can assist, rather than attending the meetings, although anyone is welcome, like I said.

The gulf between what we believe the government does, what it takes to do it, and what we, the people, perceive is vast. We need to start bridging those gaps to make this a better place.

If you're interested, let me know.

No comments: